Thursday, April 4, 2013

Fantastic Freebies and Other Frugal Finds

After majoring in the language of English, and attaining a corresponding bachelors degree, I have yet to find a single word that is better than that of "free." "Free," no matter how you use the word, most always just SOUNDS good. When you hear it, you just can't help but think:


 
OR
 
 
OR MAYBE EVEN
 
 

 
Freedom is just an especially nice concept. I mean, how much do we all value our "free time" or our "free hearted" friends or family. And just think about what you'd do without your "freelance" hobbies. One thing, however, that makes women go especially wild is "free" stuff (with myself  serving as no exception to that rule.)
 
Who doesn't love the opportunity to try that lip gloss, that eyeliner, that perfume, or that shadow that they've been DYING to get their hands on---at no cost at all? It may seem like an impossible concept...but I will show you how easy it is to attain free items.
 
Here is a photo of some freebies I've acquired very recently.
 
 
It was really super easy to do too! It just took me doing a little personal research on how to shop sensibly. The pointers are listed below.
 
GET COUPON CRAZY
 
*This may seem super obvious, but clipping coupons from the Sunday paper can easily make clearance items FREE of charge. EXAMPLE:I used a Covergirl coupon for $1.00 off any covergirl eye product on the green eyeshadow (pictured above) which was on sale for .94 cents at Target.
*Awesome websites, such as couponcabin.com( http://www.couponcabin.com/) also give cosmetic coupons that may not be featured in local newspapers. Extra bonus---they often show their consumers how to correctly pair coupons with merchandise for optimum discounts. Many times, you only have to provide a valid email address to receive manufacturers coupons that can really cut down on the cost of your item. EXAMPLE: I signed up on EcoTools website, and received a $1.00 off coupon for any EcoTools product. Extra bonus---they still send me great coupons for other items all the time. The loofah, pictured above, only cost .86 cents at my local WalMart.
*Many discount retailers, such as Dollar Tree, have also begun accepting manufacturers coupons--so check with your local marketplaces to see what the couponing policy is to get further discounts. EXAMPLE: I used a $1.00 off any Maybelline product coupon to the mineral foundation (listed above) at my local Dollar Tree for the "Beyond the Pale" previous post regarding body tanner. Remember, this type of purchase requires research with the retailer and knowledge of product selection.
CELEBRATE SAMPLE SAVVY
 
*Perhaps my favorite function of several couponing websites, such as the one mentioned above, is the fact that they let you sign up for free samples. All you need is a valid address to receive free merchandise from many retailers. Extra bonus---companies often advertise "freebies" before the merchandise even hits the shelves. So essentially, many times, you're getting a chance to try a new item before anyone else has--free of charge. EXAMPLE: I recently signed up for a sample of the new Loreal line of shampoos and conditioners and received a fairly large sample. Also, I got a trial swipe of the new Escada fragrances. Remember, sample offers change all the time and take a long while to receive.
KNOW YOUR RETAILERS
 
*In order to get premium discounts on your cosmetic purchases, make sure to evaluate weekly sale fliers and maintain a central group of retailers (in your mind) as you go through coupons. This will help you to evaluate where you think you can get the best deals.
*Don't disregard the clearance buckets! It may, initially, seem kind of daunting to go combing through a bucket of stuff--but if you have a few minutes to spare it can sometimes prove to be WORTH IT! Just think of it like an ongoing treasure hunt---some days are going to be better than others--but you won't believe the stuff I've found for less than five dollars in there---even without having to go through the trouble of pairing it with a corresponding coupon! Which leads me to:
 
OTHER FRUGAL FINDS
 
*Think outside of the box. Sometimes the last place that you would think of for in-demand cosmetic items not only carries something you want...but has it for cheaper than you'd expect to find. Some examples of this include my last month's treasure hunt to Big Lots. I located all the items below in a big ol' bin o' stuff on the bottom shelf (does this make me a scavenger?!)
 

 
 
Essentially:
* I got a tiny pair of tweezers (perfect for applying falsies) for $1.00.
* I got a CoverGirl lip pencil in a really pretty plum color for $3.00. On drugstore.com, this same pencil typically retails for between $5 and $6.
*And, as if you didn't think ELF products could get any more cost-effective, I picked up this cute little smudge brush for .95 as opposed to the dollar it usually sells for most anywhere else. Holy...moly.










*Also, I picked up a Maybelline Lash Stiletto (my favorite mascara..ever) in brownish black for $3.00. Usually I pay about $8.00 for the same exact tube.
*Finally, I got a really nice Revlon lipstick...for $2.00. Two...dollars. That would usually run you at least $7.00 (and trust me...whatever you pay for it...worth it...love Revlon lipsticks :)
 
So, for ten dollars, I got tweezers, a lip pencil, a smudge brush, a tube of mascara, and a lipstick.
 
It felt good---maybe a little too great considering how much I smiled all the way home. But the point remains---the treasures are out there just waiting to be found--both freebie and otherwise. Hopefully, these tips help to point you beauties in the right direction. Don't forget, if you have a method that works for you make sure to add it into the comments box. I always like new tips too!

Until next time,
Terrific Treasure Trolling

Eliz
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment