Wednesday, April 10, 2013

5 Brushes That Will Change Your Life (You Can Thank Me Later)

Hey dearest readers!

After attempting 3 different videos, I realized my technical difficulties have reached Biblical curse-level, so you'll just be getting text posts from me for the time being. I'm sorry! I really do exist and do things! Luckily, sweet Elizabeth is an endless fount of ideas and brilliant videos, so keep checking out our Youtube channel!


Today, I wanted to share with you 5 makeup brushes that I find necessary for my makeup kit--I use them daily! They help with application, make your makeup appear more professional, and best of all they're AFFORDABLE. I, like every makeup junkie, wish I had an arsenal of MAC brushes. But alas, on a small income, you do what you can with what you have and luckily, the makeup industry has caught on and offers good quality products for a very fair price!


1. Handled kabuki brush. 
These are great brushes, not only for applying any kind of powder foundation or setting powder, but for BLENDING in your makeup. Usually I'll apply liquid foundation with my fingers, but afterwards, I like to take one of these guys and use small, circular sweeps to blend it all in, especially around the corners of my nose, into my hairline, and down my chin (to avoid "the line." You know what I mean!). The handles make them easy to use, and I love the dense, soft bristles. Mine are Sonia Kashuk (the pink one was a special edition for breast cancer...look for it again in October!) and EcoTools. My only complaint with the Sonia Kashuk is minor bristle fallout. If that's a major pet peeve, try the EcoTools one! It's much softer, too. 

2. Blush brush.
This is a must. You must have one. You simply must. Especially if you're using drugstore blushes, because the brushes they come with look like this:
You know the ones. They're about as big as a quarter, made of cheap plastic and terrible fibers? And HOW are you supposed to get any product onto your face without looking like a bunch of little pink lines? This is why you need a good, fluffy blush brush. The bristles should be full for good application, but not too firm or they'll move around the foundation underneath. My favorite is another of Sonia Kashuk's, but again my issue is with bristle fallout (though it's not so bad on this brush). ELF has a whole slew of makeup brushes (in the $1-$5 range!), and I have ZERO complaints with any of the ELF brushes I own. Definitely worth checking out. 

3. Eye shadow brush. 
You need this for the same reason you need the blush brush:
"This is a great idea!" said no one EVER. 
 If you get no other brushes, at least get the blush and the eyeshadow brushes! A good shadow brush will make your application SO much smoother. You can really get the whole lid, or just angle it so you get the outer corners, or use it for highlighting. I use one brush for my light colors and one for my darker ones (because I'm obsessive like that), and those two do just fine for me! Mine are from an El Cheapo brand called  Studio Tools, and they work just fine. I think I have a couple from ELF, too, and I love them just as well! 

4. Blender.
Blending your eye makeup makes such a difference, omg. I wish I could make people understand this. I think there's a common misconception that you're somehow going to rub off all your makeup if you blend, and that's just not true. It's not going anywhere. Besides, it's always easier to layer on some more product than it is to take it off! So for the love of Pete, just get a blender brush. Use it when you do more than one color on your eyelid, and be amazed. It'll make your eye makeup look so much smoother and more professional. Just do it. A decent blender brush is anything with a more conical shape and fuller bristles. Mine is from Sonia Kashuk, and I love it.

5. Smudger.
I lost my smudger once and almost cried. It was like the world had just stopped spinning because I had no idea how I was supposed to do my eyeliner anymore (I got it back though! It had fallen behind my dresser!). A smudger is basically a brush handle with a little cone-shaped sponge at the end, and you can use it to blend out your eyeliner. I LOVE this because I, unlike media-portrayed "perfect" models and celebs, can't always get my eyeliner straight on the first try. Or when I do a smokey eye, I like to have smokier eyeliner. Or when I line my bottom lashline, I don't like a Robert Smith look (no offense, man. I love you, Robert Smith, but your makeup skills leave a lot to be desired.).  I especially love this to blend out my bottom lashline, giving it a smokier look. Anyway, I can't live without mine. This one is originally from Studio Tools but I can't find it online! ELF has one for $1 though! 


So there you have it. I realize the Sonia Kashuk brushes can be a little pricier, but honestly, I probably wouldn't repurchase any of them now that I've discovered ELF's brushes! They're a fraction of the cost and as I said, I don't have any of the dreaded bristle fallout. You don't have to pay a fortune to improve the quality of your makeup application. Even if you slowly start replacing your tools, one week at a time, you'll end up with things that will make your makeup process so much easier and your looks that much more professional looking! 


Until next time, bodacious brushing!
-Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment