Monday, June 17, 2013

Duel of the lashes.

Hi everyone! 


I was in Walgreens the other day and noticed they were running a buy 1, get 1 half off special on Covergirl products, so I decided to try a couple of mascaras I've been eyeing. 




(I need to gripe for a minute about the absolute stupidity of mascara names. I mean, "Super Thick Lash," "Millionize" and "Volum' Express Turbo Boost?" I mean, wtaf, guys?? Also, mascara commercials are my favorite example of sexism in the advertisement industry, but that's a rant for another day.)

Anyway, I wanted to try the Super Thick Lash because I had read that it was an affordable dupe for Tarte's Lights, Cameras, Lashes, and I'd heard good things about the other one in the beauty blogosphere, so I thought, "let's go for it." 



The Super Thick Lash worked much better in terms of separating the lashes, and it definitely held the curl better over the course of the day. The Lashblast seemed more thickening, but it didn't do much in the way of lengthening or defining.

Ultimately, if these two had a waterproof lovechild, it might be a pretty good mascara. 

Since neither is actually waterproof (the Lashblast is "water resistant"), they both smudged a bit throughout the day. The Super Thick Lash was a bit flaky by afternoon as well. 

As far as formula, the Super Thick Lash is much more liquidy, making it messier to apply. The Lashblast is a drier formula which makes it lot easier to apply, but it works so poorly that it doesn't really matter. Also, I like the traditional bristles on the Super Thick Lash better than the giant rubberized ones on the Lashblast (see pics above).

Overall, if I had to choose one, I'd choose the Super Thick Lash and just wear it on days when I only needed good lashes short term (these are not good mascaras for the 8 hour work days!). Overall though, neither of them blew my mind. 

I will say, however, that the Super Thick Lash does seem to be a good dupe for Tarte's pricier mascara. That being said, this is one of those cases where I think you get what you pay for. Tarte's is still a better mascara...I'm just not willing to shell out $20 for a tube of mascara! 


Have you tried either of these? Do you have one you recommend or would like to see tried? Let us know in the comments!

Luscious lashes, 
Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment