Friday, May 3, 2013

E.L.F. lip magic

Hello, dearest readers!

We want to apologize for the lack of regular updates lately. Real life sometimes gets in the way of doing more fun things, like makeup tutorials and product reviews! But as always, we want to thank our readers and followers for your ongoing support. You're the best!


I'm here to review a few products from ELF. ELF (Eyes Lips Face) is one of the leading budget cosmetics companies, with many of their products costing between $1-$5 (!!!) and having widely known distribution places, such as K-Mart, Sears, and Target. 

Now, I've tried and LOVED ELF's brushes and eye shadows, but I had never tried any of their lip products. So on a whim, I ordered 4 fun lip things from ELF's website and I wanted to review them for you!

So, I ordered this product because I've been eyeing the chubby sticks from Clinique for ages but can't justify the price tag. So I figured I'd give this a shot and see what I thought. I got the shade Coco Loco, and I have to be honest: it's almost so sheer that nothing shows up. I apply it with a really heavy hand, and it looks like I have almost no discernible color on my lips apart from a sheer, sparkly gloss. The texture is nice--it's not sticky or thick. I'm not sure if it's just the color I got, or if the color payoff for all of them would be so unimpressive. Overall, I'm glad it only cost $2 and would maybe try one more shade to see if it would make a difference. Otherwise, I wouldn't repurchase. 

I got this because I am pretty much addicted to tinted balms (see my review on the Revlon Lip Butters!). The shade I ordered was in Guava, and it's a nice peachy-pink color. Is it super moisturizing? No, not really. It goes on, lasts, and has the color payoff that you'd expect from a lower-end tinted balm. The color is pretty, but it lasts such a short time. I do like the packaging, though. It's slim enough to fit nicely into a pocket for on-the-go touch ups. That being said, again, I don't think I was madly impressed with it enough to reorder. I still use my Baby Lips more than this one. 

This was my favorite of the three products I ordered. I actually really like the texture of these lipsticks (really silky, not sticky at all), the color payoff is decent considering they're ONE DOLLAR, and they came in a plethora of shades. I ordered the shades Charming (#3) and Fantasy (#4), but as you can see, Charming came broken! I was really disappointed because naturally, in a huge twist of irony, that was my favorite of all the products I ordered. I attempted to fix it using like three different ideas on Pinterest, but none of them worked. So I've just been using it as is with the help of a lip brush. But darn! Because it's the prettiest color! It's a really springy-looking pink, and I don't actually have anything that's similar in my lipstick arsenal. Since it's only $1, I'll definitely reorder. Fantasy is just as nice, but it's too brown for me (it doesn't look so brown on the website!). But this was the one product I think I'll definitely reorder, and try in some more shades--they're only $1 after all! 


Swatches without flash.


Swatches with flash.


Anyway, I'm really glad I tried some of these, and it just goes to show that more expensive products don't necessarily work better than their cheaper colleagues! Have you ever tried ELF's lip products? What's your favorite? Let us know! 

Exciting ELF Endeavors!
-Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment