Thursday, May 23, 2013

Skin Winning

Hello, lovelies!

I am a BIG believer that healthy skin = beautiful skin. The better care you take of your skin, the less product you end up needing (of course, there are exceptions: acne, rosacea, etc.)! 

My all time favorite skincare line is Clinique's 3 Step system. 
Remember how Proactiv had the 3 step system, too? Clearly, I think they're on to something. Cleansing first, followed by an astringent/toner to remove any remaining gunk, makeup, dirt, etc., is a great combo for getting squeaky clean skin. Of course, all of this should be followed by a moisturizer so you don't completely strip your skin of oils and moisture. 

The problem with the Clinique thing is that, while it's lovely and nearly-perfect, it's PRICEY. I asked Santa for it, and that's how I get it every year, because if I have to shell out $50-$60 for SKIN SOAP...ain't nobody got time for that!

Luckily, I have a backup plan made entirely of drugstore products that works JUST as well. Behold!
For skincare, I've found that Clean & Clear works better for me than Neutrogena, Cetaphil, or any of the other pricier drugstore brands. They have a TON of different cleansers, so if you have any kind of oily skin, chances are you can find a product that'll work for you. 

Witch hazel is probably my all-time favorite skin product. It's a wonderful, natural astringent and is awesome for all skin types. My father has used it as aftershave for years, I routinely apply it on sunburns (when I get them), and I'll even skip my Clinique toner in favor of witch hazel if I'm having a sensitive skin day. It's absolutely MARVELOUS, and you can find it for about $2-$4. If you don't have any, GO GET SOME. 

And lastly, I've realized that the Garnier Moisture Rescue Gel-Cream is an almost dead-ringer-dupe for the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisture Gel. But it's a fraction of the cost! It has a really nice, cooling feel, and a whipped gel texture, which makes it perfect for hot summer nights (don't even pretend like it's not 87 degrees in the shade, come on now). It's a very lightweight moisturizer, which makes it perfect for people with oily skin. 


All that said, this is what works for MY skin. You could have oily skin like mine, and these products might not work for you, but I just wanted to share my favorite (splurge!) and what works just as well (save!). Also, bear in mind, if you have combination or dry skin you'd want to use different products. Clinique will screen you for your skin type and customize their 3 step system for you and your skin. You should probably do the same thing with drugstore products. Dry skinned people want to AVOID Clean & Clear (or anything with Salicylic acid) and would probably do well to find a heavier moisturizer. Witch hazel will work for EVERYONE, though! 


Here are a few products I use regardless of what skin cleansing system I'm using, just to supplement:

Biore Pore Unclogging Scrub: a great exfoliating scrub that I use a couple times a week.

Aveeno Smart Essentials Daily Nourishing Moisturizer: I'll use this in the mornings. It's a great base for my makeup, has SPF 30 (!!!) and doesn't have the greasy, heavy feel of sunscreen. Plus, it smells nice! 

Freeman Anti-Stress Dead Sea Minerals Facial Mask: it draws out dirt and crud that's deep in pores, is a fun blue color, and rinses away leaving skin feeling PERFECT. It's pretty affordable, too! I use it about once a week (if I remember). 

And always remember to take off your makeup before bed! Even if you're three sheets to the wind, JUST DO IT. It's so incredibly unhealthy for your skin to sleep in makeup. If you don't believe me, just Google it (and hope to God you don't have a strong gag reflex). 


So, what skin products do you use? Did you find this at all useful/relevant? Let us know if you have any questions or comments! And thanks for stopping by! 


Sensational skincare, 
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment